The 2019 Senior Athletics Carnival was a day filled with colour, enthusiasm and excitement, along with record-breaking performances and great sportsmanship.
Held at Homebush, the temperature was perfect, which added to the celebratory atmosphere of the day.
It’s always rewarding to see our girls immersed and engaged in their leadership roles, and our House Captains certainly didn’t disappoint, showing amazing skills both on the day and in the lead up to the event.
While all participants are to be commended for their efforts, the following girls are to be congratulated as Wenona’s 2019 Athletic Champions:
• Sarah (Year 7), Allard – Junior Athletic Champion 2019
• Skye (Year 9), Hooke – Intermediate Athletic Champion 2019
• Mia (Year 11), School – Senior Athletic Champion 2019
They say that records are meant to be broken, but breaking a record is no easy feat.
Therefore, the following girls are to be commended for establishing new school records in the following events:
• Sarah (Year 7), Allard set a new time for the Junior 1500m with a time of 5:05.24
• Olivia (Year 12), Ralston set a new time for the 18 years 200m with a time of 26.39
• And in the Senior 4 x 100m Relay Messiter’s, Amelia, Kate, Lily and Jasmine set a new time of 53.21.
The overall House point score was very closely contested, with the lead changing at various times throughout the day and only 76 points separating 1st, 2nd and 3rd after a full day of competition.
But there can only be one winner and congratulations must go to Messiter who were announced as the Senior Athletics Champions for 2019, also winning the House Cheers competition.
Congratulations must also go to the entire 2019 Wenona Cross Country team, who contributed to the phenomenal result at the IGSSA Cross Country Championships at Mittagong on Friday 17 May. The event had a real 'wow' factor about it!
Wenona was awarded 4th place, which is an outstanding achievement and reflects the commitment and consistency of so many of the girls since the start of the year.
Furthermore, to pick up the Most Improved Trophy for the second time in three years is brilliant.
A full set of results will be posted on the School’s Portal, but congratulations to the following girls on their outstanding achievements.
• 12yrs 3km – 1st Sarah (Year 7) - IGSSA Champion, 9th Mae (Year 7)
• 13yrs 3km – 12th Elise (Year 7), 18th Hannah (Year 8)
• 14yrs 4km – 3rd Mia (Year 8), 14th Louise (Year 8), 20th Jemma (Year8) / Gold medallists teams' event (Mia, Louise, Jemma and 26th Sophie (Year 8)
• 16yrs 4km – 9th Charlotte (Year 10)
• 17yrs 4km – 4th Mia (Year 11), 12th Chloe (Year 11), 16th Chrissie (Year 11), 18th Leila (Year 11) / Silver medallists’ teams' event
• 18yrs 6km – big shout out to our Year 12 representatives Isabella 34th, Grace 43rd, Sophie 42nd, Kate 35th and Olivia 31st for their huge effort during a very busy period of their academic studies.
Thank you also to Emily and Zali (Year 12), Cross Country Captains 2018/19, for their support in the lead up to the day, as well as rallying support for each girl as they raced. Well done!
A huge thank you must also go to our Sport Department for their tireless hard work and incredible organisation behind the scenes!